Michael Kratochvil is an award winning writer/director and a first class honors graduate of the VCA School of Film & Television and Monash University.
His most recent film EILEEN PRATT (2012) screened at three Academy Awards accredited festivals in the US including Palm Springs International Short Fest, Slamdance and Flickers: Rhode Island International Film Festival. The film has also recently screened at four BAFTA accredited festivals, including Edinburgh International Film Festival, Rushes Soho Shorts, Leeds International Film Festival and Brooklyn Film Festival. The film has since gone on to be picked up for distribution by Shorts HD/Shorts International for US/Europe and South Africa and Pacific Voice Inc/Short Shorts Film Festival for distribution in Japan.
Michael’s prior short films have received worldwide attention. In 2006, his grotesque horror film about human guinea pigs was well received by the leading horror movie publication Fangoria, going on to screen on both Fangoria TV (New York) and Fangoria’s Weekend Of Horror’s convention in California. Xeralel went on to win the runner up award for Best Science Fiction Film at the International Festival of Cinema & Technology 2008.
In 2007, Michael wrote and directed Dearest Sir, an acclaimed short drama starring the legendary Australian actor Charles ‘Bud’ Tingwell. Dearest Sir screened in competition at the St Kilda Film Festival and was one of only 15 short films selected to go on a national tour. Dearest Sir was listed by The Independent Weekly and The Mercury as a standout film of the festival.
In June 2012, Michael was selected to attend the Edinburgh International Film Festival Talent Lab. Michael was awarded the prize for “Best Pitch” for his debut feature script by a panel of internationally recognized producers.
In April 2013, Michael directed a critically acclaimed music video for the LADYHAWKE ‘Blue Eyes’ (Jacques Renault remix). The official video was the result of a winning pitch Michael submitted to a Nikon and Modular Records sponsored competition.
Michael is currently working as a screenwriter and filmmaker, focusing on making the transition to direct his debut feature length film.
He is managed by MAGNET MANAGEMENT in Los Angeles.
Selected Filmography (2005 to current)
Eileen Pratt / Short Film / HD DSLR / 2011 Writer, Editor, Director
Synopsis: Eileen Pratt is a lonely middle-aged bus driver who feels disconnected from the world around her. A tragic work accident prompts Eileen to confront her past, triggering a self destructive downward spiral, back to where the pain began.
- Palm Springs International ShortFest / Palm Springs, California, US / 2012
- Edinburgh International Film Festival / Edinburgh, Scotland, UK / 2012
- Slamdance / Park City, USA / 2012
- Brooklyn Film Festival / Brooklyn, New York, US / 2012
- Rushes Soho Shorts Film Festival / London, UK, 2012
- Flickers: Rhode Island International Film Festival, US, 2012
- Dungog Film Festival, NSW, Australia 2012
- Mill Valley Film Festival, California US 2012
Igor & Mal / Short Film / Super 16mm / 2007 Writer, Editor, Director
Synopsis: Two brothers discover that the afterlife is a strange and unsettling place.
- Freak Show Film Festival / Orlando, Florida, USA / 2009
- Melbourne Underground Film Festival / Melbourne, Australia, 2009
Dearest Sir / Short Film / Starring ‘Bud’ Tingwell / Digital Betacam / 2007 Writer, Editor, Director, Composer, Producer
Synopsis: An elderly man receives a captivating email from a former Nigerian bureaucrat.
- St Kilda Film Festival, Melbourne, Australia, 2008
- St Kilda Film Festival National Tour, (All States), 2008
Xeralel / Short Film / DV / 2006 Writer, Producer, DOP, Director, Editor, Soundtrack
Synopsis: Five desperate young adults sign up to earn money as human guinea pigs in a clinical drug trial.
- Fangoria TV, New York, USA, 2007.
- Fangoria’s Weekend Of Horrors film convention, San Jose, USA 2007.
- International Festival Of Cinema & Technology, Washington, USA, 2008. Winner of runner up award for Best Science Fiction Film.
2006 Wooden Ice Cream Cones / Short Film / DV Writer, Producer, DOP, Director, Editor.
Synopsis: An experimental, inter-textual film, combining ‘re-shot’ scenes from Bugsy Malone, Fade To Black and Society.
- 2006 Melbourne Underground Film Festival, Melbourne, Australia.